Thursday, April 9, 2009

In the special needs boat without a paddle


Do you feel like you are paddling as hard as you can and only on very rare and unique days actually getting somewhere? My friend Eli who is now frequently sailing would appreciate this analogy since he knows I will gladly swim around the sail boat several hundred times , but I refuse to get in. My excuse is sea sickness. How did I ever learn to scuba dive?

I have a fifteen year old daughter with joubert /coach syndrome and it has been a constant battle daily just to get out of bed knowing that I would need to keep fighting. The problem is not the child. Jasmine is wonderful! best thing that ever happened to my family and I! She is a fun, happy , hard working girl. Most days I call her a creep or monkey and she laughs (great sense of humor) The problem is anything and everything I ever wanted her to do or be able to do, at least a dozen people have said she will never be able to do it.
Jasmine is " labeled multiply handicapped" has an IEP and now miraculously in the neighborhood high school taking fantastic courses and doing amazing well. The journey to getting here was very long. A long story and one which I finally decided to write about. YOU see I am a very talented , BRILLIANT mother with amazing ideas and talents (writing is not one of them ) You know the old motto " if at first you don't succeed.................................. " well my friend Barbara says "If at first you don't succeed change your strategy not your goal" I vowed to do that daily and so far (just by looking and spending time with Jasmine ) You can tell I am a great success ! :O)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Esther
    I love the blog name and will look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great name
    keep blogging
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing person and an amazing mom. And "a great success!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Evelyn!
    You made my day (BIG SMILE)
    ESTHER

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow esther! that's great that you're doing this. it's a great way to keep up with Jazzy while i'm away.

    you're doing an amazing job and i'm really proud; most people wouldn't be able to do half as much. you're one of the strongest people i know.

    <3

    ReplyDelete